myForesight Secretariat has hosted a two-day Vision Building Workshop at Marriot Putrajaya, IOI Resort on the 26th of August 2010 and 2nd September 2010 with the objectives of identifying cornerstones based on common themes &phrases; and build agreed vision&goals capturing essence of the cornerstones.
1) Identifying Products and Services This process concentrates on identifying potential products and services based on scenarios. Group members are supplied with the scenarios to scrutinize. In order to facilitate the discussion session; opportunity, threat and product/services template is used, and the lists of opportunity/treats was instrumental in deriving the list of products and services .
2) Write Desired Future This step requires reflection, imaginary and creativity. The process’s objective is to draw key common phrases from the written letter in describing the desired future. Exercise begins with individual letter writing and continues with a discussion of examining key phrases, The key phrases are then connected and common key phrases were finalized by the working groups.
3) Relational Analysis Between Phrases During this third process, participants are provided with the list of phrases together with the influence analysis worksheet. Such forms are circulated for groups to perform the influence analysis between key phrases. A causal loop diagram is them constructed to indicate relationships of key phrases. This diagram is often employed in relational analysis,where it will relate the varios key phrases that are being evaluated.
4) Vision and Goals A vision is a positively loaded notion of a desired future, meanwhile, goals are big steps towards accomplishing the vision. With an agreed time horizon planned, vision is an important step to set a strategy for achieving goals. In this exercise, vision and goals are built based on the agreed cornerstones/common denominators (phrases). Supporting data statistics shall be available to the participants as reference for this process.
5) Select Key Products and Services The task requires participants to select key products and services which are necessary to support vision and goals. The previous list of identified products and services is t e used in this process. Participants are required to have a group discussion on the selected products and services and tick on the form given.
6) Identify Key Technology This step involves the elaboration of a list of key technologies which are necessary to develop key product/services. This exercise is most often oriented to come out with a ‘third level’ technology e.g fusion technology (nuclear –alternative energy)>
In this NTF2010, stakeholder involvement proved vital in order to provide a consensus output and ensures the methodologies and processes are being conducted efficiently. Without such engagement, this exercise wouldn’t reach its objectives to have an adequate output to tailor with the project sponsor requirements. Findings from this workshops were plotted in a Matrix of Common Phrases