by | MOHD HASAN MOHD SAAID, email@example.com
VIDEO GAMES AS A SPECTATOR SPORT (Click for more)
The growth of the Esports industry
Currently, the highest prize pool for a single Esports tournament is held by an event called the International. It is the world’s biggest tournament for an online multiplayer game, Dota 2. The tournament takes place every year since 2011 and offered a prize pool of $1.6 million in its first year. When the first edition concluded, the championbagged home $1 million from it. From 2011, the prize pool for the International has only gone upward year after year in line with Dota 2’s growth. And in 2018, the tournament’s prize pool had then reached a staggering $25 million. All this adds up as the largest cumulative prize pool compared in comparison with other tournaments like Daytona 500 ($15.5 million) or the U.S. Open golf tournament ($12 million).
- Standardising Esports athletes’ contracts, health programmes and career planning.
- Safeguarding competitive integrity and improving gender equality.
- Building a national venue and academy for Esports.
- Encouraging further Esports talent development and investment.
- Introducing licenses for players, referees, and training centres.